Alcohol Addiction Recovery Book Recommended Reading
In an effort to provide variety on this Cove Center for Recovery blog, we decided to share with you an alternative point of view regarding alcohol addiction recovery. By informing you about a book from author Annie Grace entitled: “This Naked Mind,” we are not endorsing this method of alcohol addiction recovery outlined in the book, but providing you with another interpretation of how to gain sobriety to broaden your horizons.
Annie Grace is the author of This Naked Mind. She was young and successful. By the age of 26, she was the youngest vice president in a multi-national corporation and began drinking earnestly. By age 35, she was a C-level global marketing executive and was responsible for marketing in 28 countries. During that time, she routinely consumed a bottle (or more) of wine each evening.
Knowing she had to change her lifestyle, but unwilling to submit to a life of deprivation, she searched for a painless way to regain control of her life. Annie no longer drinks and has never been happier. She left her job as an executive to write This Naked Mind.
“I didn’t intend to write a book. I intended to find a personal answer to why, when I determined alcohol was no longer doing me any favors, it was not easy to cut back,” says Annie. “I was determined to find a solution that worked for me, and didn’t involve a lifetime of missing out. I set out to find my own truth about alcohol and the result was this book.”
This Naked Mind: Find Freedom, Rediscover Happiness, and Change Your Life according to Grace is based upon the most cutting-edge research on alcohol in the disciplines of psychology and neurology; it also examines the influence that alcohol has on our culture and society.
This Naked Mind dives into the roles of the conscious and unconscious mind in alcohol addiction, suggesting that a person’s unconscious mind has been subjected to a lifetime of conditioning about the benefits of alcohol. The book uses Liminal Thinking – a new approach that focuses on understanding how we construct and change our beliefs to help readers gain freedom from alcohol.
Through the Liminal Points, Annie will walk you through many of the common beliefs we hold about alcohol –
• “Alcohol makes me happy.”
• “I enjoy the taste of alcohol.”
• “I can’t have a social life without alcohol.”
• “It relaxes me.”
You then proceed to deconstruct them and reveal the truth behind those beliefs. Once you’ve worked through the points and absorbed the new information you’ll notice an interesting phenomenon taking place. You won’t want to drink anymore.
The entire premise behind the book is what is most earth shattering. Rather than teaching you how to be sober or recover from alcoholism – This Naked Mind is going to take the desire to drink away. Your desire to drink will be gone, so you won’t feel like you are missing out. You aren’t being deprived of anything. The focus is not on staying sober, it is instead of just living and being happy. You won’t be pining for a drink or avoiding social situations because of temptation. Without desire there exists no temptation. Importantly, you won’t have to label yourself as diseased or powerless.
This Naked Mind also explores:
- Knowledge and Strength: How people can empower themselves by giving themselves the knowledge and strength necessary to limit or stop their alcohol consumption
- Psychological Aspects of Drinking: Conditioning of the unconscious mind, why we drink to deal with stress
- Intersection of Society, Culture, and Alcohol: Implications of being labeled an “alcoholic”, suffering from “alcoholism”, or facing “addiction” in today’s society; and examining the cultural myth that alcohol is a vital part of the life
- Marketing and Advertising: How the alcohol industry has minimal labeling and advertising restrictions
- Case of the “Addictive Personality”: Why no such thing exists and how anyone can become addicted with the right level of exposure
- Effects of Alcohol on the Brain: How alcohol can ruin the ability to experience pleasure from other fun and enjoyable activities
If you’re ready to take back control and find your true happiness again then This Naked Mind is here and waiting. See what it’s like to break free from alcohol without ever missing a thing!
Get the Amazon Bestselling book: Click Here